One of the automotive world’s worst science projects is coming to an end. Toyota dashboards have [long been known to melt and warp] under the heat of the sun. The deformed dashes have also been known to extrude a strange, goo-like substance that is oddly shiny and sticky; like something you’d find in a toddler’s coat pocket.
This led to some understandably upset owners and a couple of lawsuits. Feeling the heat of pending litigation, Toyota announced they will extend warranty coverage on the dashboards in 3.5 million vehicles rather than go to court. I guess they wanted to avoid a sticky situation (I never promised that the jokes would be good, folks).
Details on the Warranty Extension
Toyota says there will be multiple phases and forms of coverage for this warranty extension. What, you expected something simple?
- Phase one will focus on covering the costs of those who have already paid for dashboard repairs out-of-pocket.
- Phase two will only start once phase one is complete. This second phase is when Toyota will look at deformed dashboards that haven’t been replaced and determine if they should be covered. (Oh, and all of this will only start once Toyota gets enough replacement parts.)
- Toyota will also have a primary and secondary coverages based on the date and mileage of the car.
Here’s the bottom line: any owner that can show their dash has been damaged by heat or humidity should be eligible for the extension – at some point – up until May 31, 2017. It gets a little more complicated after that so I recommend not waiting around until then. For all the details visit CarComplaints.com.
Vehicles Eligible for the Extension
- 2003-2005 Toyota 4Runner
- 2005-2010 Toyota Avalon
- 2007-2011 Toyota Camry and Camry Hybrid
- 2004-2010 Toyota Sienna
- 2004-2008 Toyota Solara
- 2007-2008 Lexus ES 350
- 2003 -2008 Lexus GX 470
- 2006- 2008 Lexus IS 250 and Lexus IS 350
- 2007 Lexus LS 460
- 2004-2006 Lexus RX 330
- 2007- 2009 Lexus RX 350
- 2005- 2008 Lexus RX 400h
To find out if your vehicle is eligible for the dashboard warranty extension, contact Toyota at 800-331-4331 or Lexus at 800-255-3987.